We are open Tuesday through Saturday from May to October.
Our hours are 10 AM to 3 PM.
Admission is $5 for adults. Active duty USCG personnel and children under 10 are free.
The Old Jail was constructed sometime in the 1600's. It was moved to the Museum Site in the late 1960's. It serves as the starting point of Barnstable Village ghost tours provided by expert ghosthunters.
For the full story, go to
Coast Guard Heritage Museum
The Coast Guard Heritage Museum at the Trayser opened its doors for the first time in May of 2005. Two former Navy men, CDR Maurice Gibbs (ret) and Lou Cataldo, a local historian, were the driving forces behind the initial idea. CDR Gibbs, President Emeritus of the Nantucket Lifesaving Museum, suggested that the museum should be named in honor of the USCG. The group expanded when three former Coasties - Jim Walker(USCG), of the American Lighthouse Foundation, Albert L. "John" Manning(USCG), and CPO Dan Davidson(USCG) -the last two charter members of the Eastwind Association - came on board. John Manning eventually served as President of the organization. Capt. Robert L. O'Brien (USCG Ret), former comptroller of the USCG, was a charter member.
The museum site is owned by the town of Barnstable, Massachusetts. In addition to the museum building, which is a former US Custom House and was later a Post Office, the property includes the Village Smithy, a working blacksmith shop with daily demonstrations, and "The Oldest Wooden Jail in America". The Jail was relocated to the site from another site nearby, and has recently been opened to visitors.
Copyright © 2015. The Coast Guard Heritage Museum. All rights reserved.
Click on "How we began" for a
more detailed history.